Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
If your home or business has experienced water damage, don’t panic! There are water restoration professionals in your area waiting to help you after these kinds of emergencies, and our team is one of them! Our team has a few tips for you when water damage does occur on your property.
A Few Do's and Don'ts
Ensuring safety should be your first step. Wait for an all clear or survey the area for possible hazards before taking action. Contacting our team should be your next step. SERVPRO of South/West Seattle team regularly addresses water damage throughout the city. We have the tools, expertise, and experience to help with whatever size disaster or restoration project. While you wait for our assistance, there are a few things you can do, as well as a few to avoid.
- DO use mops to clean up water
- DON'T use any electronics or appliances that are plugged in
- DO open windows and use fans
- DON'T lift anything too heavy for you
We're Here to Help
SERVPRO of South/West Seattle will help you through the entire water restoration process once we have made it to your property. We will take it over from here!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (206) 932-9033
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.