Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A Few Tips
If you experience water damage, don’t panic! Ensuring safety should be your first step. Wait for an all clear or survey the area for possible hazards before taking action. Our Southwest Seattle SERVPRO team regularly addresses water damage throughout the city. We have the tools, expertise and experience to help with whatever size disaster or restoration project. Contacting our team should be your next step. While you wait for our assistance, there are a few things you can do, and a few you should not do.
Below are some tips about steps to take after suffering commercial or residential water damage.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (206) 932-9033
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.