How to Reduce Fires Caused by Space Heaters
Responsible adults understand the importance of fire prevention. However, most associate accidental burns with triggers such as unattended fireplaces, faulty wiring, and improperly discarded cigarettes. While these can all cause serious incidents, a burned space heater may also create a disaster.
Space Heater Safety Features
When purchasing a space heater in Des Moines, WA, only choose one with:
- A safety certification label.
- A durable cord measuring at least six feet long.
- A ground fault circuit interrupter plug to prevent electric shock.
- An automatic shutoff and tip-over switch.
Choosing a device that includes these features will reduce the odds of yours going up in flames and inducing a debilitating house fire. Should an event such as this occur in your home, a licensed fire damage restoration company will become necessary for handling the smoke cleanup.
Safely Using Space Heaters
Even using warmers without the above-mentioned advantages, you can prevent a burned space heater by avoiding usage in certain areas. For starters, only place your system on a level, non-flammable surface, taking special care that it remains at least three feet away from anything combustible. Similarly, never place your heater inside a garage where gas cans are sometimes present. Children’s bedrooms should also be avoided, as curious fingers can easily get burned.
Before heading to bed, double-check that your machine has been set to the off position. Take care when removing your system’s plug from an outlet, as doing so haphazardly can trigger a combustible spark. Periodically inspect the cord and find a replacement if you detect damage. Reduce the chance of overheating by using different outlets when plugging in other devices.
Obviously, smoke detectors and escape plans remain basic tools of general fire safety. If you have not done so already, implement these measures in your household as soon as possible.
A burned space heater is more than just an inconvenience. At worst, it will cause untold devastation. Avoid heater-related blazes through proper use and a bit of quick consumer research.